Monday, August 20, 2007

Patience is a virtue






I should have been a plumber, the Super Mario Brothers would be proud of me if they saw all the plumbing I did on Lucky today. First I made and installed all the oil cooler and remote oil filter hoses and fittings. Then I mounted the power steering reservoir and have it ready for when the pressure hoses arrive for it. Then I installed the dual coil set-up and hooked up the high tension wires for that. Once that was all finished I installed the front screen to protect the radiator from what ever is flying around in Mexico and then finished it all off with the grill. It will not be long until the engine can be fired up but I prefer to wait until I have the drive shaft installed as well as the power steering hoses and the knock sensor and adjustable timing control.

Funny how some things seem more ascetically pleasing than others when building a car and some things have special or hidden meanings. I am proud to say that for years I raced some of the best prepared RX7's in the U.S. winning many major races and my son even took one worn out one and won last years national championships with it. Needless to say I have a fond place in my heart for them. While I was researching everything I would use in building Lucky I decided to use an MSD dual pickup distributor which uses two coils should one fail. The very second that I knew I was going to use that set up I knew I was going to use the very coil bracket that is used on first generation Mazda RX7's. And it's looks pretty darn cool if I do say so myself!

Then if that wasn't enough excitement for one day Jon tells me Santa came early. When I got to Santa's house (The truth is Jon is Santa) Jon hands me our new team driving suits, shoes and gloves.

No comments: