Tuesday, October 02, 2007

What a small world




There is a private walkway thru the Bougainvillea that borders a private walkway between my office and one of the best kept secrets in Mountain View which is the La Fiesta Mexican restaurant. As I walked thru the opening today to get a bite of lunch boy was I surprised when I looked up to see an original La Carrera Panamericana car! Not only was I lucky enough to see the car but the owner, Karl Swartz, was just getting ready to start up the engine and leave. Quickly I asked him about the car before he got away and he was a real gentleman and began telling me some about his car. Before he left he gave me the web address with some info on the history of his car which is a 1953 Morgan called "The Flying Haggis." I didn't realize it at the time but after reading more about his car I realized I had seen this very car before when it was for sale at one of my friends Ferrari dealership in Los Gatos. I don't know if Karl knows or not but he also has a very nice private collection of Morgans including a three wheeler Morgan which he used to show in some of the same shows I had cars in.

It has a very rich history in that it has participated in the first three modern runs (1988, 1989, and 1990) of La Carrera Panamericana. When I asked Karl if he had ever run the La Carrera Panamericana he told me he had not however he had plans on doing it someday in the future when his daughter was older so she could come along. How cool is that! Great car and a fine gentleman. Nice meeting you Karl and look forward to seeing you around.

Be sure to check out the THE FLYING HAGGIS website and enjoy.

No comments: