Monday, June 01, 2009

Vintage Wasn't Always Vintage

It's almost surreal as I look at the amazing collection of vintage PPIHC photos from Artemis Images knowing of my intent to run a 65 GT350R model Shelby that is some 44 years old from that very era. Then I ask myself, 'Remember all those times I wished I could turn back time?', well I think I may just be doing just that.

Take a look at this first photo of Parnelli Jones shown here in Devil's Playground in 1964. He became the first driver in the stock car class to complete the course in under 14 minutes earning him a 1st place in 1964 in his Mercury. His time was 13:52.2.

(This photo is part of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb archive.)



This is is the Coors Special running PPIHC in 1963. Note the in-car camera. Wow, They sure have made them a lot more compact than back then.

(This photo is part of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb archive.)

This one's from a little farther back in 1958 when men were men and well the women were too.

No comments: